The Pre-Kindergarten Room focuses on a specific weekly/bi-weekly unit theme. Curriculum requirements are subject to change.
Your First Day: Items to Bring
- Regular crib sheet for cot/mat
- Small blanket for naptime
- Change of clothes: pants, shirt, underwear, socks, shoes
- Old work shirt or flannel shirt for working with art materials
- Composition notebook
All personal items should be marked with the child's name.
Pre-Kindergarten: Overview of Program
This class will focus on specific readiness skills for kindergarten. The children will be involved in hands-on activities, which encourage development in all curriculum areas.
- Art: Monday -Friday
- Sensory: Monday-Friday
- Language and literacy: Monday-Friday
- Group time activity: Monday-Friday
- Music and rhythm: Monday-Friday
- Science and nature investigation: Tuesday and Thursday
- Math: Monday and Wednesday
- Cooking: Once weekly
- Computer: Monday-Friday with written approval from parent
- Dramatic play: Monday-Friday
- Blocks: Monday-Friday
Some of the concepts/skills, which will be encouraged in this classroom, include:
- Letter recognition and Phonemic Awareness
- Number recognition and matching 1 -20
- Rote counting 1 -50
- One to one correspondence 1 -20
- Shape recognition and matching
- Ability to use scissors
- Ability to write name and copy shapes from example
- Knows address, phone number
- Social problem-solving skills
- Large motor skills: balancing, pumping legs on swings, hopping and jumping
- Fine motor skills -pre-writing activities, manipulative play, playdough, scissors, markers, etc.